Thursday, May 12, 2011

The battle we're losing which we think we're not even fighting

I often have wondered what makes people so addicted to facebook or twitter. To be driven to the extent of sharing information, people to know what they are up to, share pictures, check what others are up to...just that insatiable hunger to stay connected.

How were we connecting before the facebook or twitter era (and am not looking for orkut as an answer). Even before mobiles existed...we stayed in touch by meeting people or writing letters. It was more human touch and less technology. But then we were in touch with only a few.

Today facebook has put me in touch with almost my entire class of 1997. I can check how they look today, what they are up to, what did they do after school...I don't even call friends on birthdays and anniversaries. I wish them on fb.

So the social networking world has opened my world but put me away from the human touch. Where am being empowered on one hand, technology is also lessening my human effect.

Is technology somewhere making me lose the battle on the sly which I don't even realize am fighting?

2 comments:

  1. I guess you wont call me weird, or don't know if am wired differently :( damn technology still blesses me with the exact same human touch/emotion... especially when it's the girlfriend cribin.. be it on the mail, mobile, chat, bla bla... its always been the same ;)

    ReplyDelete