Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The horror called Marriage

I chanced upon this writing I had written in 2008. Fun read, still is :)

Marriage was a horrifying idea. I thought it to be confining, restrictive and an invasion of my personal space. With paranoia for marriage, my parents could see their hope to see their only child settled being strangled. Every weekend they relentlessly searched for a potential groom to be and fixed a meeting, while I repeatedly turned them down or created a situation for the potential groom to turn me down. One failed weekend passed another and I showed no signs to surrender.

On a hot day of June while I shuttled from one meeting to another at office, I heard a pleasant voice on my phone only to discover him to be yet another prospect recently short listed by my mother. I was quick to postpone our conversation till the evening. It was only by late evening that I returned his call after mom’s insistence to do so. With our first conversation ending in a disagreement of how Sales and Marketing are different and not interchangeable terms, I expected no more calls from him. Proving me wrong, he called the next day during the lunch hour and we discussed the most bizarre foods around the world. For the next few days, our discussions ranged from anything but the topic of ‘marriage’. When it was time to meet, I joked and told him only if there will be lightening and it rains, would I know I met the right guy. Soon enough, I found myself facing a light hearted and a good looking man who passionately told me all about his trip to Europe. True to my nature, I bantered and teased and he took it all sportingly. Our conversation was as comfortable as that of two old friends meeting after a long time and sharing jokes. It was a relief not having to answer the usual daunting matrimony questions. Never did the thought of spending my entire life with this person intimidate me as it had in the past with others. We stayed there for a little longer as there really was a storm and later had started to rain.

Sumit and I got engaged after a few days and married after a few months later. Having been married for little more than a year now, we enjoy travelling extensively, sipping coffee over a serious discussion, crying together watching a movie and even searching and devouring after midnight road side food. It hardly feels like being married. It’s like living with your closest buddy, enjoying the same things together and moving with the same pace in life. And love…it follows.

1 comment:

  1. I must say you are lucky to get a good friend as your better half. I too am haunted by the word "Marriage" and try to escape any conversation related to this topic. But after your post, I feel may be luck will on my side one day.

    Wish you all the best for your future.

    ReplyDelete