Wednesday, September 16, 2020

I saw ‘The Social Dilemma’ and here is why am worried




I watched ‘The Social Dilemma’ recently and I started thinking of something really concerning. It does not say anything that I don't know already. I mean I really wish I had access to those advanced AI algorithms to create engaging content for people. But that is not it. I am more worried about how children, in the current and future times, identify or will identify their self with their social standing.

Not to deny that it matters to us as well. That gratification and pump to the dopamine every time our friends like and comment on our picture. And we wait to take that perfect picture. We only celebrate pretty faces, promotions, that 'A' grade, and the near perfect event in our life.

But thanks to a childhood that had more real interactions and mortal connections that we have a stronger sense of self. Our confidence is not destabilized if a picture does not get a like or gets a negative comment. We can discern ‘the social’ us as extended entertainment and not an extended version of ourselves.  

I do not want to sound like a person saying things were better in my time. Things are constantly evolving (read getting more tech driven), and we are as much part of that evolution because it offers speed and convenience which are addictive. 

Shreya and Shivansh are at an age when they really like to play games on the gadgets (which I allow weekly). In some years, they will probably want to be on Instagram and twitter because their friends are. How will I ensure that their confidence is unaffected with or without their social presence? How will I help them understand that their online stance is not who they are? How will I explain that it is not ok to share everything online as our privacy is constantly exposed? How will I convince them that they don't have to be perfect to be liked but being real is far more important? 

No comments:

Post a Comment