Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Impatient, restless, aggressive or just expecting more?


It is quite amazing how impatient we now are. I am not here to discuss the hazards of technology on the human race but I can’t help but notice. And I notice this each day... 

I impatiently hit the ‘end key’ on my Blackberry the moment it starts to misbehave. Few seconds of its inactiveness is enough to get me impatient and restart it. And as soon as it restarts, I want it to be working perfectly or I could restart it again. I want calls to instantly connect. A few waiting tones are enough for me to assume that there has to be something wrong with the network or the telecom ministry.

Not that laptop is the favored one. The reason could be any hefty application but the laptop still bears the brunt as it is made to forcefully shut and come back to life as fast. And the rate at which the tapping of my fingers or feet tap increases is directly proportional to the time that the machine takes to restart. I want websites to open at the blink of an eye and if they don’t then I am quick enough to repair my internet connection or restart my router. I quickly disconnect and connect LAN cable and log calls with the IT team. And till the problem is resolved, I feel I shall miss something critical, work shall suffer, I will miss my deadline and my entire world will come shattering down.

I have lost the patience to see fancy flash websites. The F5 is the most exploited key as I ruthlessly vent my impatience out on it. I want google to throw intelligent results. I want banking transactions to happen with a click and wish that there weren’t as many passwords. I want quick music downloads and the favorites I have on my laptop should get transferred on my mobile as fast and what is on my mobile should effortlessly play in my car. I want to browse the net and check my mails while am on the move. And I want to click pictures and upload them right away (as if it were milk which could be stale the next day). I wish I could have an ipad for books, music and videos at my fingertips, anytime, anywhere.

I want all channels on my television. If I don’t have the 432nd channel, then my digital TV operator is obviously crappy (even though that 432nd channel is not expected to get more than 34 seconds of my divided attention).

Call it impatience or expecting more but what I am wondering is whether we control technology or is it the other way? 

3 comments:

  1. It definitely is the other way. It's up to us to let it happen or not. Good to have technology in our lives but hey let's not allow it to rule us...

    Try taking a walk in a park and you would know what i mean. Life is still the same...it us who decide the pace we want to live at.

    ReplyDelete