Thursday, January 20, 2022

Letter to Shivansh on your sixth birthday

My Punjabi puttar,


You’re a foodie, and whenever we want to indulge, you’re our go-to person. I love how you’re clear about what you want to eat and what you want to do and get done with it. No drama, no qualms. As hyper restless as you might be, it’s hard for you to focus (always has been).

I understand when it’s only natural to punch Shreya as the bully shrieks at you or irritates you through the day. But I’m deeply disturbed at how serious these fights are getting each day.

On the chilly morning of 2016, when this 2.5 kgs baby came squealing into our lives, little was I prepared for his growing addiction to gadgets a few years later. I wish normalcy returns so that I can let you explore the world beyond the screens.

You might feel ignored when there’s someone boisterous always around getting all the attention with her charm and tact. But remember that you have our undivided attention, understanding and love, whether we say it or we don’t. I just wish you grow out of your shell to become more self-assured, ready to be seen and heard in the pandemonium.

As you grow in an environment obsessed with perfection, I hope you can confidently embrace your imperfections because that is what makes us human. I am immensely proud of who you are and what you will be if you work sincerely to be.


Love that knows no limits,

No longer your helicopter mommy (but still a crazy one)  

2 comments: